Updated: Oct 3
It's Chooseday, and in the spirit of this week's World Animal Day on 4th October, we're inviting you to make a simple yet profound choice: Choose to eat less meat. Why Choose to Eat Less Meat?
Planet Friendly: Reducing meat consumption helps in decreasing greenhouse gas emissions, aiding in the fight against climate change. The UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) states that livestock is responsible for about 14.5% of global greenhouse gas emissions. By reducing meat consumption, we could significantly lower this percentage and its impact on the environment.  Healthy You: Numerous studies have shown a diet rich in plants can lead to reduced risk of chronic diseases. A comprehensive study published in the Journal of the American Heart Association in 2019 found that diets higher in plant foods and lower in animal foods were associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease mortality and all-cause mortality.  Water Saver: Producing meat generally requires more water than fruit and vegetable crops. Opting for plant-based foods conserves this precious resource. Preserve Natural Habitats: Less demand for meat helps in reducing deforestation and habitat destruction. Celebrate Life: Choosing less meat is a direct way to decrease animal suffering and show compassion to our furry and feathered friends.
World Animal Day – What's It All About?
Celebrated on 4th October, World Animal Day aims to raise awareness about the welfare of animals, reminding us of the importance of treating them with kindness, respect, and understanding.
Here are our Top 5 Animal Welfare charities to support this World Animal Day:
1. RSPCA: Rescues, rehabilitates, and rehomes animals in need, advocating for their welfare.
2. World Animal Protection: Actively prevents animal cruelty worldwide, ensuring animals live free from suffering.
3. WWF Australia: Protect and advocates for wildlife in Australia and worldwide and delivers long term environmental conservation and regeneration programs.
4. Animal Aid: Assists animals in times of trouble through the highest standard of care.
5. Gunyah Animal Healing Sanctuary: Provides a loving safe haven to animals who have suffered abuse, neglect, exploitation, abandonment, illness and those with special needs.
Every bite we take can be a step towards a kinder world. This Chooseday, let's make our plates a little greener and our hearts a tad bigger. Because when we choose good, ripples of positivity flow. Keep choosing wisely, and till next Chooseday, stay good-hearted!
Thanks for choosing to do good this Chooseday.
the GoodCompany team.
Know someone who will benefit from a Chooseday mindset?